Saturday, November 22, 2008

Spa, christian leadership, support

Yesterday the female staff at Trinity treated me to a day of pampering and prayer. These women have been watching me grow for the last few years as a leader. Their encouragement and investment in me is priceless. I have been so abundantly blessed by Linda Bailey, my team of volunteers, and the other staffers at Trinity. If God can do this for me, the one who is to be serving, I can only imagine what He will do in the lives of those who are broken and hurting.

As a result, here are my thoughts as a young leader on what "baby ministers" need:
1) Doubt: I doubt my call to ministry almost daily. I'm getting better about this, but Satan has a strong foothold on doubt and fear in young leaders. The average 20 something male fears commitment like the plague. I fear commitment to ministry the same way. If you are a young leader, remember Christ is about freedom, not about the weight of doubt. Love drives out fear, just keep loving the ministry.

2) Public acknowledgment: I have a friend in leadership who was told by her mentor, "no one will take you seriously until you are 30." Well, I'm 26, so do people take me seriously or not? I think so and I think that is because my senior leaders have respected my call and publicly encouraged my leadership to the congregation. If you are a senior leader you should be constantly looking for ways to affirm your young leader.

3)Fire: As a young leader I am filled with passion, creativity, and fire. I will speak my mind and I will look at something old with fresh eyes. Fire fuels easily, but it can also extinguish easily. My biggest problem is not time-management it is energy management. Young leaders need to be intentional about refueling: emotionally, spiritually, and physically.

No comments: