Thursday, November 20, 2008

Babies

I have a 90 lb mutt. I like to think he's the result of careful planning and consideration. Honestly though, he's a result of a little thing called, the biological clock. Many a times I've come to appreciate his need for my maternal instinct. It was spring and when I met him, I knew he was coming home with me.

Recently, several of my girlfriends have gotten pregnant. I scan through the pictures of ultrasounds and delivery. I look at how quickly these little angels develop and I catch myself wondering what it would be like if I brought home a bundle of joy. Then, I remember grad school, the multisite ministry plan for Fall 09, the independent never calling a guy my boyfriend again nature and realize that a baby is not in my 5 year plan.

A guy friend of mine recently announced that his best friend and mountain biking buddy is a soon to be dad. I wondered, I know what it does to me when a girlfriend announces her pregnancy, but what does it do to a guy? Will my guy friend feel plagued with the curse of the biological clock? Will he imagine coffee dates with strollers? Does he immediately calculate the nearest Carter Outlet to pick out the perfect onesie? I can't imagine my friend picturing himself holding a baby as a result of his wingman's paternity.

Why is it that male and female hormones are so different when it comes to babies? And are they really different or do women just act on them more openly than men?

1 comment:

vivaitalia2008 said...

You have to read the book, " The Female Brain" by...oh I don't remember the author's name now, but you can find it in any bookstore. It 's SOOOO good for explaining all that stuff!!