Friday, January 2, 2009

Reflecting on 2008

Because I've been reading so much lately and because I have a deep gratitude for iTunes, I'm going to try to begin each post with a book I'm reading and what song is on iTunes.

Listening to: Fireflight, "Waiting"; and Casting Crowns, "Masquerade"

Reading: The Ascent of a Leader

2008 was a great teaching year for me.I learned a variety of things about youth ministry.I had opportunities to grow as a leader through conferences and servant leadership community called KINDLE. I was blessed with teaching experiences on Sunday nights (some of which taught me more than I taught others!) and asked to speak for other youth ministries.I started grad school and began learning the balance of being graded for work I’m pouring every ounce of free time into. I climbed two physical mountains, pushing my own endurance and accomplished a few life goals along the way.

Learning is something we often take for granted. A friend of mine, loves getting B's and C's in her undergrad classes. These grades are often the result of taking classes that have little to do with her major, she finds the courses challenging. They push her to wonder about the world outside or her interests and passions. She loves getting those average grades because she believes she learns more in a class she earns a C in than a class she earns an A in because her learning is challenged so greatly. She informed me she learns every bit of that B or C. To her, it is not necessarily about the mark, it's more about how the learning changes or challenges her thought process on a matter. Success in learning is not always measured in an A's or F's. It's measured in the outcomes.


In college, I used to take the first two weeks of every semester to focus on recognizing one theme in my life. My first semester was zeal, learning to see the zeal of the Lord in my everyday life. The semester of my first big break up was love. I focused on learning to love even when your heart is tender and broken. Post college, it has been harder to find breaks that encourage reflection and this kind of premeditated recognition. Thankfully, New Year’s naturally causes reflection. So, 2008’s theme can be summed up as: learning.

What did God teach you in 2008? What A, B, C, or even failed learnings did you glean from 2008? What classes or themes will you pursue in 2009?

No comments: