Friday, January 30, 2009

Continuing Well

I've been so intimidated by the leadership words, "finish well." Maybe that is because only 1 in 3 leaders actually finish well. I dare not consider that I could be one of those leaders who does not. As a young leader, I recognize that God is doing things in me and testing my character. I will say this, my integrity is being tested over and over again. I pray that as I take time to work on my character that God gives me the courage and foundation to succeed in these character checks.

1 Cor 9:24-27
I am serious about finisthing well in my Christian ministry. I discipline myeslf for fear that after challenging others into the christian life I myself might become a casualty (Clinton Paraphrase).

Bobby Clinton teaches that the key to finishing well is continuing well. Today, in honor of studying along Bobby Clinton, I'm posting as he teaches!

Barriers to finishing well:
Finances - their use and abuse.
Power - it's abuse.
Inordinate Pride
Sex - illicit relationships
Family - Critical issues
Plateauing - lack of continued growth
Emotion and Psychological wounding

These are stumbling blocks to finishing well. Recognizing them before they hold you back is a part of building a firm foundation in leadership. Chess expert Marcus Weeks suggests winning in the middle game. The beginning of the game is exciting, but much can change as the pieces move on the board. The middle game takes strategy and much is lost in the middle game. Leadership is much the same way. The middle of ministry and leadership matters! What happens in the middle of ministry takes strategy, future planning, and more.

A secret he shared with me today:
"All leaders will go through deep processing. Deep processing can blindside you so that you will question God. A SOVEREIGN MINDSET WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE WHETHER OR NOT YOU MAKE IT THROUGH DEEP PROCESSING. DEEP PROCESSING IS ONE MIDDLE GAME SIDELINER."

So, how do we travel well in the midst of ministry:
Have a sovereign mindset: Asking what Lord are you doing to do through me.
Ask yourself rhetorical questions: Take a look at the Apostle Paul's writings and see just how important these questions are in the Word of God. Know yourself very well.
Discipline yourself Spiritually : Are you in the word? do you have spiritual habits?
Develop and take a lifelong Learning Posture:
learn from all of life's sources: experience, other people, formal training, informal training, personal projects.

Assuming I even make it through the middle game (Lord, please help me get there!) Finishing well characteristics are:
Vibrant, personal relationship with God
Maintain learning posture
Christlikeness in Character
Lives a life of conviction and promises from God
Ultimate contributions
Growing awareness of self identity

No comments: