Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Looking for a date on Valentine's Day?

I just read a blog by a girlfriend warning other gal pals of the peril of Valentine's Day. For the single woman, Valentine's Day can be the equivalent of being the only kid without a date to the first big dance. For years, I've seen single gals wane into the background and ignore Cupid's special day. As a single gal in the so very subburban outskirts of Chicago, that could be me. And, chances are if you've been bummed on the LOVE FEST day you've felt that way too.

That won't be me this year though. The reality is, St Valentine is an unknown historical figure, most likely a Christian martyr. Rumor has it he met his death on Feb. 14. There other clouds of mystery surrounding the holiday, like forbidden marriages and bloody massacres. But, basically, dear old Valentine died for serving others. Not a bad way to show the world you care!

In the spirit of serving and loving others, I'll be heading out to the Joshua Center in Chicago to serve some wonderful ladies dinner. Joshua Center is a ministry to homeless women. It has a very dear place in my heart because every time I'm with these ladies, I'm reminded of how blessed I am and how special we all are. If you are dreading the lonlies of V-day or just simply want to love out loud, let me know...I'd be happy to take you along!

1 comment:

findyourlove88 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.