Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Romans 5:2

I'm writing today because, I miss it.  I miss writing.  After an almost year long sabatical from all things writing related, I finally missed it.  I miss publicly displaying my thoughts, feelings, hopes, ideas and the vulnerability of their exposure.  I played this cat and mouse game with myself today about writing.  I spent about 30 minutes this morning making a few cards and I told myself that now, I should do laundry.  Laundry is more important than taking the last few minutes of nap time to myself.  Isn't funny the way mommy-hood gives you this feeling that you are never allowed to have more than 1 "me" moment in a day?  Stupid lie.  How many moms live this way?
Anyways, I'm behind on my verse a day calendar because I have commitment issues.  I over-commit to things.  I get abnormally attached to things abnormally quickly.  For example, my calendar has been set on March 3rd for quite some time now because I really like March 3rd's verse.  Today, I finally commited to switching it.  This turned out to be a positive outcome:
"We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment he has already thrown open his door to us."  Romans 5:2 (MSG).  I've been working on hospitality in my life for a few years.  A less than hospitable thing happened to me and I've been trying to render out what hospitality should look like.  Since then, I've been seeking how to make myself a hospitable person.  It has become an obsession, a calling, and ongoing discussion between my head and my heart.  So this verse hits me hard, open doors are a huge part of living a hospitable life.  But more than that, the willingness to open those doors when we don't know what is on the other side is true hospitality.  With God, when we finally reach the point of opening that door to spirituality, He's already there.  No searching or wondering what's next required.  So we find ourselves right where we wanted to be all along, with everything we needed. 

And if you are wondering about March 3rd's verse, I might be back by next May.

1 comment:

J.Mill said...

It's ok to commit to short-term interests. If anything, it just keeps us fresh! Welcome back to writing(for as long as you're here!).